Brief History of Mining
- HistoryLink: https://www.historylink.org/File/7960.
- Kensel, W. Hudson. “Inland Empire Mining and the Growth of Spokane, 1883-1905.” The Pacific Northwest Quarterly. Vol. 60, No. 2, 1969, pp. 84-97.
- Idaho State Archives: http://cdm265501.cdmhost.com/cdm/compoundobject/collection/p265501coll1/id/861/rec/123.
Effects of Heavy Metals
- World Health Organization: https://www.who.int/ceh/capacity/heavy_metals.pdf
- United States Geological Survey: https://pubs.usgs.gov/wri/2002/4183/report.pdf
- Environmental Protection Agency: https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2014-11/documents/human_health_effects.pdf
- Shul’kin, V., et al. “Effect of Mining Activities on the Chemistry of Aquatic Ecosystem Components.” Water Resources, vol. 42, no. 7, Dec. 2015, pp. 843–853. EBSCOhost, doi:10.1134/S009780781507012X.
- Vinodhini R., Narayanan M, “Bioaccumulation of heavy metals in organs of fresh water fish Cyprinus carpio (Common carp).”:
- Spokane River Forum: https://spokaneriver.net/outreach-resources/spokane-river-public-guide/sources-and-pathways/
- Spokane River Forum: https://spokaneriver.net/outreach-resources/spokane-river-public-guide/fish-consumption-advisory-cleanup/
- Spokane River Forum: https://spokaneriver.net/outreach-resources/spokane-river-public-guide/status-of-toxic-chemicals-heavy-metals/
- State of Washington: https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/publications/documents/1110038.pdf
- Spokane River Keeper: https://www.spokaneriverkeeper.org/riverjournal/2018/2/1/toxics-in-the-spokane-river-why-we-care
- Environmental Protection Agency: https://www.epa.gov/superfund-redevelopment-initiative/superfund-sites-reuse-idaho
- The Spokesman Review: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/aug/29/epa-to-begin-cleanup-of-coeur-dalene-river-basin/
Want to find out more about the history of mining?
- Check out the Idaho State Archives: http://www.digitalstatearchives.com/idaho. Click on “Mining in Idaho” to access.
- Read Big Trouble: A Murder in a Small Western Town Sets Off a Struggle for the Soul of America by J. Anthony Lukas.